Hiawatha General Machine Operator/ Extruder
Tired of working in corporate manufacturing? How about being a part of a family-owned business where you are a valued teammate! J-Six Enterprises has an opening for an extruder operator at our Hiawatha plant. The Extruder Operator will set up, calibrate, operate, monitor, and perform basic troubleshooting of extrusion and auxiliary equipment to produce quality products that meet J-Six specifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Operate extrusion equipment in a safe manner that meets or exceeds production goals.
- Make equipment adjustments when necessary.
- Change over extrusion equipment and follow all safety and sanitation procedures.
- Minimize scrap/waste during changeovers.
- Evaluate the finished product quality by visually inspecting the pet food both at the extruder and the dryer to include proper cook, odor, and product size. Adjust as necessary to correct any issues related to the quality of the product. Visually inspect the finished product at the cooling conveyor. Ensure the product is going to the correct bin.
- Record all process checks as required.
- Collaborate with QA to ensure that issues during the shift are being addressed and that the product is meeting all target specifications. Adjust as necessary and involve others as necessary.
- Maintain the extruder log, monitor downtime, and document downtime by cause.
- Ensure adherence to all lockout/tagout procedures.
- Review extrusion requirements and specs for the run to include a review of the formula to ensure that proper coatings (wet & dry) are being applied. Identify any inventory concerns and bring them to the attention of the Shift Supervisor immediately.
- Monitor and record on a timely basis wet density if necessary.
- Perform daily/weekly sanitation of the extruder room area/floor as required.
- Maintain a clean work environment.
- Proactively prepare for changeovers by having die plates and knives ready ahead of time.
- Operate the extrusion equipment at expected run rates and be able to calculate anticipated change over or shutdown times.
- Perform all start-up and shut-down activities.
- Perform Food Safety checks and CCP monitoring activities as specified by HACCP.
- Record keeping, and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Understands the importance of safety and quality.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as SOPs and safety documents.
- Detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- The ability to sit, walk, stand, bend/twist, reach, and climb intermittently throughout a shift of 12 hours per day or more as necessary.
- The ability to lift up to 50lbs.
PREFERRED SKILLS, COMPETENCIES, AND EXPERIENCE
- 2 or more years in food manufacturing with production floor experience.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A competitive salary
- Outstanding benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance
- A 401k with an employer 3% match
- paid vacation, and paid holidays.
Successful candidates will have an opportunity for further company advancement.
J-Six Enterprises is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or military or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Be a part of a family business that’s experiencing significant growth. Apply on company site - or call J-Six at 785 336-5470.