Reports directly to the Engineering Manager, the Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the creation, revision, and control of the method of manufacturing for ultra-precision machined products. In a team atmosphere and in cooperation with Production Control, Manufacturing and Quality Engineering, the use of engineering practices are employed to reduce waste, improve operational performance, and promote cost reduction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, revise, and control the method of manufacturing for products in cooperation with the manufacturing department.
- Evaluate engineering change requests from both the customer and internally.
- Perform time cycle studies used in the evaluation/updating of current engineering methods.
- Formulate and recommend manufacturing processes and procedures for layout and material handling methods.
- Conduct organizational studies and prepares operating manuals/work instructions.
- Prepare digital data packages to support procurement activities.
- Research and design tooling for job operations, quality department, and assembly.
- Provide support to company departments to resolve manufacturing related issues.
- Works with sales engineer to support quoting activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes such as CNC milling, CNC lathe, EDM, grinding, deburring, and inspection are required.
- Working knowledge of 3-D CAD systems is required; ProEngineer (ProE) or UniGraphics is preferred.
- Ability to read blueprints and interpreting GD&T.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret industry standards such as MIL, ASTM, SAE, NAS/NASM specifications are required.
- Preferred knowledge of finishing processes such as anodizing, passivation, heat treating/stress relieving, nickel plating, powder coating, and chemical conversion coatings.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access preferred.
- Proven track record of identifying sound, cost effective, machining process improvement opportunities.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and manage multiple projects.
- Absolute attention to detail.
- Good written and verbal communication skills as well as good interpersonal skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in a precision machining and manufacturing environment working with tolerances down to +/-.0001” and defect free workmanship.
- Experience with Root Cause Analysis, Lean Manufacturing, FEMA's, APQP, and control plans are a plus.
- Ability to walk, sit, stand, occasionally lift up to 20 pounds and enter data into a computer.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR * 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.